Now, I should clarify that Interac told me that the disaster wouldn’t affect me or my arrival date on March 13th. Since then, the most pressing concern has been the state of the nuclear reactors in the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, which are in such bad shape that authorities are worried about a meltdown. With every new development, I wonder if the company would at least want to change the plans to hold training in Tokyo.
I’ve had a lot people asking me if my plans to go to Japan have changed since the cataclysmic disaster caused by the 9.0 magnitude earthquake and subsequent tsunamis. So far, to the dismay of my family, they have not. Interac has told me that my schedule for training in Japan, and my actual placement in Sapporo, will continue as scheduled. So everything shall proceed as planned.
And in case you weren’t aware, my plan is to go teach English in Sapporo, Hokkaido Prefecture, for at least one year. I’ve already bought my ticket and I’m flying out of Seattle on April 12th (arriving at Tokyo-Narita airport on the 13th). I have about a week of training in Tokyo before shipping up north to Sapporo.
Sapporo is like 300 miles north of the devastation in Fukushima Prefecture, on the northern island of Hokkaido. Still, people have voiced concerns that you shouldn’t fool around when radioactivity is involved, so everyone’s kind of worried. I have yet to receive my work visa from the Japanese Consulate, so we’ll have to see what happens. Can’t teach in Japan without it. Stay tuned more more action.